December Newsletter: Find FAFSA Help and Meet the New $10,000 Scholarship Winner
The holidays make this a busy time of year, but it’s also an important time to make sure that you’re on top of the financial aid process. That’s where this month’s Financial Aid News can help. You’ll find resources for filing your FAFSA, the latest news about new scholarships, information about private student loans, and more. Here are some highlights:
- An easy way to compare private student loan options
- Everything you need to know about filing your FAFSA
- New scholarships to help pay for school
- Dozens of resources for financial aid newbies and experts
- The latest update on student loan repayment
Congrats on Another Semester Under Your Belt!
You’ve made it through another semester! While you deserve some time to wind down, you’ll also need to start thinking about next semester. If your funds have run dry already, there are still options. Private loans are available at any point in the year, so if you need a little extra cash for next semester, find your loan options now.
Are You Ready to File Your FAFSA?
January is only a week away, and that means you can officially file your 2013-2014 FAFSA! We know you’re just as excited as we are. To get you prepped, here’s some stuff you should have available when you file:
- Driver’s license
- W-2s, tax returns, and other financial records from 2012
Make sure you also know your deadlines and dependency status. Not sure what your status is? Good thing we just created a dependency status quiz to help you find out!
Some Tips for Financial Aid Newbies
As you may know by now, financial aid can be confusing – but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve recently redesigned our financial aid resources page to help students and parents find the best financial aid information out there! If you’re just starting the process, find guides to basic financial aid and links to the websites you’ll need. Even if you’ve been there, done that, find helpful information on repayment strategies to get you out of debt.
ScholarshipPoints Awards $10,000 Scholarship to One Lucky Member
Stephanie Swihart is the newest member of the ScholarshipPoints $10,000 scholarship winners club. On December 17th, the final winner for the last $10,000 scholarship of 2012 was drawn. Stephanie is a senior at Snowflake High School in Arizona and she had this to say about her $10,000 scholarship windfall: “Thank you ScholarshipPoints this was truly a blessing in my life. I am the only person in my family to be going to college. I’m already working towards my nursing degree and this will greatly impact my future. I’m thankful to be given this opportunity and I will most definitely be putting it to good use. Thanks to ScholarshipPoints I am this much closer to reaching my goals.” A big congratulations to Stephanie!
Want to be like Stephanie? You can’t win if you’re not a member! Join ScholarshipPoints today!
Here are some new scholarships to check out over the holiday!
- Edna Meudt Memorial Award and the Florence Kahn Memorial Award — Deadline: February 14, 2013
- Northwest Perspectives Essay Contest — Deadline: January 15, 2013
- AAUW Educational Foundation Career Development Grants — Deadline: December 15, 2013
- California Restaurant Association Educational Foundation Scholarships for Undergraduate Students — Deadline: April 15, 2013
- Admiral Mike Boorda Scholarship Program — Deadline: May 1, 2013
- Nevada Women’s Fund Scholarships — Deadline: March 26, 2013
See more new scholarships.
The Financial Aid Roadmap
Are you taking advantage of all the different financial aid options available to you to pay for college? Check out the Financial Aid Roadmap to find out more about what to apply for and when is the best time to apply!
There have recently been some changes to the federal Income Based Repayment (IBR) plan. Learn more about the changes and see if it can help you better manage your student loan payments.
Your Opinion Matters
Is there a particular topic or interest you would like the Financial Aid News to cover?
Leave a comment on our suggestions page.
- Learn about Online Degrees
- Take a Class Online
- Online Education Degree Programs
- Earn your Bachelors Degrees
- Find Masters Degree Programs Online
- Consider a Doctoral Degree Program