February Newsletter: It’s Financial Aid Awareness Month!
February is Financial Aid Awareness Month, which makes it the perfect time to finish up your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), learn about Stafford loans, and find as much scholarship money as you can to help pay for school. And this issue of the Finacial Aid News will help you do just that. Here’s just some of what ‘s new this month:
- Find resources to file your FAFSA on time and correctly
- Get in on our next $10,000 scholarship drawing
- Learn about different types of Stafford Loans
- Plan for upcoming steps in the financial aid process
- Check out dozens of new scholarships
$10,000 Scholarship Almost One Month Away!
We bet that you could do a lot of things with a $10,000 scholarship. Maybe you’d transfer schools? Maybe you’d graduate debt free? Maybe you’d be able to trade in your old Fred Flinstone car for something more reliable? Something you could use a pedal to power rather than your own two feet. The first step in winning a $10,000 scholarship is signing up at ScholarshipPoints to be entered into the drawing. One March 18th 2013, ScholarshipPoints will pull the name of the person that we’ll be writing a $10,000 scholarship check for and right now you have no chance that it will be yours. So what are you waiting for? Sign up at ScholarshipPoints today and maybe your $10,000 scholarship dream could come true!
FAFSA Deadlines are Near!
Some schools’ FAFSA deadlines have already come and gone – have you completed yours? Get your app in soon because some state and college aid is first-come, first-served. The earlier you can file, the better!
To help you file faster, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is now available. Learn if you qualify and find out how this can save you time AND make your FAFSA more accurate.
If you have already filed, hooray! You’re one step closer to getting your funding. You’ll soon get your Student Aid Report (SAR) which includes your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) along with the amount of funding you’re eligible for. Find out what else comes next.
Do Your Stafford Loan Homework
Pretty soon you’ll be accepting your financial aid offer, and it will probably include some Stafford loans. Make sure you know all about these loans before accepting any aid. Start by learning the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans (hint: one is better than the other). Then find out how to:
Need FAFSA Help?
We’ve just created a video tutorial to help you file! Watch the video now and learn how to complete the FAFSA on the Web. Plus, get answers to some of the most common FAFSA questions.
Here are some new scholarships to check out!
- Matters of Life and Death Scholarship Writing Contest — Deadline: April 16, 2013
- College Prep Scholarship for High School Juniors — Deadline: March 29, 2013
- Naomi Berber Memorial Scholarship — Deadline: April 1, 2013
- $1,500 College JumpStart Scholarship — Deadline: April 15, 2013
- Religious Liberty Essay Scholarship Contest — Deadline: March 15, 2013
- Distinguished Young Women Scholarship Program — Deadline: Varies
See more new scholarships.
Last Minute Expenses?
If you need help covering spring semester classes, there’s still time! Private student loans can help fill the gap left by your financial aid package. Find your options.
Loans for Parents
Are you a parent looking to help with college costs? Learn about the Parent PLUS loan and find out if it’s a good option for your family!
Your Opinion Matters
Is there a particular topic or interest you would like the Financial Aid News to cover?
Leave a comment on our suggestions page.
- Learn about Online Degrees
- Take a Class Online
- Online Education Degree Programs
- Earn your Bachelors Degrees
- Find Masters Degree Programs Online
- Consider a Doctoral Degree Program