Home » Financial Aid, Newsletter

What would you like to see in the Financial Aid Newsletter?

12 January 2011 1,623 views 61 Comments

FinancialAidNews.com Logo

The FinancialAidNews team (at the Student Loan Network) is committed to bringing you the most relevant information about financial aid. The newsletter highlights upcoming scholarships, updates on financial aid, tips and advice on applying for assistance and relevant financial aid advice – primarily for parents and students.

Stay tuned in 2011 for help understanding your Student Aid Report and Financial Aid Award Letters, applying to and paying for Graduate school, and also tips for finding the best summer internships.

If there is a particular topic you would like us to cover in future newsletters, please comment below with your suggestions!

Financial Aid Questions? Head on over to the Financial Aid Forum and let our student advocates help you.

Financial Aid News is sponsored in part by:

61 Responses to “What would you like to see in the Financial Aid Newsletter?”

1. Marco Porcher says on February 2, 2011 at 7:03 pm:

I have been approved for Financial Aid for the 2011-12 year… but, when doing the work online I added three schools. Question: if I had to transfer to one of those schools, would my Financial Aid follow me there?

• j pettis says on April 27, 2012 at 9:53 am:

financial aid is not transferable guru. It comes to you from the college based on how much money the govt has allotted to that school to distribute The school looks at your fafsa and using many factors such as income, size of the school, number of student applying, etc awards the money to their students as they see fit. If you want to transfer just indicate you are applying for financial aid and on you transfer application fill out your fafsa Fafsa info is provided to each school you indicate on the fafsa application

• j pettis says on April 27, 2012 at 10:03 am:

indicate you are applying for aid on your transfer application and make sure you fill out your fafsa do not turn down any aid or cancel any applications as guru suggests just wait you cannot accept financial aid until you give a deposit and enroll that makes it pretty hard to accept two financial aid packages at once

• j pettis says on April 27, 2012 at 9:39 am:

you will receive financial aid info from each school you are admitted to in the mail Financial aid packages telling you what amount each college is awarding you then you can compare and decide whuch school you want to attend

• Financial Aid Guru says on February 3, 2011 at 11:45 am:

@Marco: Yes, most aid is transferable, particularly if it is federal money. You’ll need to work diligently with their new school’s financial aid office to ensure a smooth transfer. You start by logging into your FAFSA on the Web Account and adding the School Code for your new school. Then, contact the new schools financial aid office to see if other forms are needed (like a CSS Profile). If you have any grant money, you’d need to contact your state to find out if that can be transferred. Same thing with any scholarships. Review the policies of your loan holder. When your Student Aid Report arrives, make sure your new school has a copy of it.

*Important: Withdraw all financial aid applications from the previous college, or decline any offers made. It is against federal regulations to accept financial aid from two colleges simultaneously.

*Note: IF your loan comes directly from the college itself, it will not be transferable.

2. RAWAD NABIL says on February 4, 2011 at 3:45 am:

Hello
    I am a student holds a high school of the United Arab Emirates
    I would like to ask if I can get a scholarship for free
    I am Syrian,
    I live in the United Arab Emirates
    Note I am a member of the site and there I have about 206 points
    Please help
    Pioneers Nabil

• Financial Aid Guru says on February 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm:

Unfortunately at this time ScholarshipPoints is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

• hmrgrl1 says on August 10, 2011 at 3:47 pm:

As they should be!

• Mihary says on February 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm:

What about the international students attending college in the US? I thought we were also eligible.

• Financial Aid Guru says on February 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm:

@Mihary – I’m sorry — Unfortunately at this time that is not true – scholarshippoints.com is not able to offer scholarships to anyone who is not a US citizen, regardless of where they are attending school. However, you can find scholarships for international students at studentscholarshipsearch.com!

3. March Newsletter: $10,000 ScholarshipPoints Drawing and Your Financial Aid Roadmap | Financial Aid News says on February 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm:

[...] If there is a particular topic you would like us to cover, leave a comment on our suggestions page. [...]

4. Tiffany says on March 25, 2011 at 6:03 pm:

I’m at a community college and having a hard time finding scholarships. Where are all the scholarships for continuing students rather than freshman?

5. April Newsletter: Stafford and Private Loan Information, plus our $10,000 ScholarshipPoints winner | Financial Aid News says on April 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm:

• Kathy Lee says on November 12, 2011 at 9:59 am:

I am a parent of two graduates who because of our economic status had to take out private loans. They are now in the repayment status of their loans and due to their economic status, they are struggling. There should be help out there for graduates who are stuck with sizable loan repayments who are at a different economic status as their parents. There are all of these options out there for federal loans but not for private. Who can I contact in Washington to voice my opinion?

6. Financial Aid Guru says on April 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm:

@Tiffany – Thanks for commenting. First off, you are definitely eligible to earn many different types of scholarships on ScholarshipPoints.com. Secondly, if you are having trouble finding scholarships, you should try narrowing your search down to those that meet your specific criteria. You can try StudentScholarshipSearch.com, or a number of other sites. There are many scholarships out there for continuing students, you just need to remain diligent about searching for them.

7. Tom says on April 5, 2011 at 9:12 am:

I have a combination of subsidized and subsidized Stafford loans. I know that at least one, if not all, of them are considered “private.” What’s the best way for me to consolidate and/or refinance so as to get the most favorable terms?

8. fanny says on April 6, 2011 at 3:07 am:

What is the secret of balance cash flow statements? is there any format that you can assist me?what advise can you give me on this problem becuase am facing problems when calculating cashflow statements?

9. joseph says on April 6, 2011 at 5:02 am:

Hi I have collected more than 400 polnts but unlucky iam not eligible to be rewarded,iam from africa and i would like to give out my points to an eligible person.how do i do it? Can you guys direct us where we can find scholarships for african students studying in africa.I spend most of my nights surfing but dont get even one website.Help me friends…

10. Erin says on April 6, 2011 at 8:28 am:

How do I get free funding since I have a diaabled parent?

11. Meghan says on April 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm:

I’m a junior, and I have been using Stafford loans, ParentPLUS loans, and Pell Grants to fund all of my school so far. I have racked up $40,000 in loans. Now, I’ve hit the limit for a dependent student as far as Stafford loans ($31,500) and I still have a year and a half to go. I’ve been applying to scholarships since I was 14 and never have I once received one. Besides continuing that seemingly fruitless (and tedious) path, what are my other options? I will still get a Pell grant, but I’m afraid it wont be enough to help me finish on time.

So I would like to see something about students in my position, and what options they have available.

• j pettis says on April 27, 2012 at 10:10 am:

you should have started off at community college your best option is a job and night classes

• pamela says on January 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm:

I am so glad that you asked that question, the same thing is happening to me. Scholarships ,,, I’m about to think that there’s no such thing. Thanks!

12. May Newsletter: Private Loan Help & Summer Classes | Financial Aid News says on May 9, 2011 at 9:26 am:

[...] Leave a comment on our suggestions page. [...]

13. Phyllis Venkataya says on May 11, 2011 at 5:34 pm:

I graduated college late last year; in the process, I have also been desperately seeking work almost a year before that. How are students paying for financial aid when they have no job, or in my situation disabled and coming off a recent kidney transplant? I am doing well, and would like to start paying, but just do not have the resources. If I started t set up a payment, could it be under $100. dollars t at least keep the interest down?

• Financial Aid Guru says on June 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm:

You can often negotiate repayment options with your lender if you fall behind. Additionally, consolidating your loans can lower the monthly payment, though the overall amount will increase because of interest. You can also look into deferring your loans for a temporary disability, to find out more you can visit the Department of Education’s website.

14. Amber says on June 9, 2011 at 10:24 am:

How do I get qualified for more education grants. I only qualify for the Pell but no other. I don’t want to take out anymore loans and am applying to as many scholarships as possible and have yet to win one. Also, job searching isn’t turning up much for I am considered overqualified for everything I apply for.

• Financial Aid Guru says on June 10, 2011 at 11:20 am:

@Amber- Unfortunately, these issues are all too common for students today. Education grants are not the highest funded right now (Pell grants recently lost funding), so it’s unlikely students will be able to qualify for more through the government. You can try searching for private grants at studentscholarshipsearch.com.

15. soneka says on June 10, 2011 at 11:33 am:

im kinda new to this and i was just wondering, how do they go about choosing the winners???

16. Tammy says on June 10, 2011 at 1:11 pm:

I just wanted to stop by to say how disappointed I am in this process that was offered to me. I am currently enrolled in College as a 1st year student. I responsded to your email talking about scholarships and giving information on other available resources with regards to loans, grants, etc. I filled out the requested online information to apply for a loan as I am in serious need of extra help in order to purchase a new laptop, supplies, etc. I was asked to type in the name of my school, which I did. I was immediately matched with a lender. Then I was directed to another page where I had to type in my state, again, and enter the name of my school. Well, the name of my school wasn’t on the list for that lender, but it gave me an option of entering the school’s name manually. Then I was told that my school name couldn’t be found. Now here’s my question: How can I be matched with a lender that clearly has my school’s name at the top of the screen only to be told that it’s not on the list once I attempt to start the application process? I am also a Disabled student with Cancer. I do not want sympathy, but could honestly use the extra help as I don’t receive a HUGE check every month. Could someone please look into this for me & get back to me? Thanks!

• Financial Aid Guru says on June 13, 2011 at 9:32 am:

Hi Tammy,

If you can tell us what school you’re looking for, we’ll look into the issue for you! Sorry for any inconvenience!

17. Joey says on June 11, 2011 at 8:08 am:

I hate the idea of asking someone to co-sign for a private student loan, yet I cannot attend school without one. I don’t have parents or relatives who can co-sign for me.

I would love to see an article outlining what lenders are looking for when they determine whether an applicant will be required to have a co-signer so that they can receive a student loan.

In addition, it would be great to understand what we can do to establish good credit over the years. Myself, I don’t have anything bad on my record, but I have only been in the country for a year, and I’m not sure what I need to do.

Thank you!

• Financial Aid Guru says on June 13, 2011 at 9:19 am:

@Joey- Thanks for the input, we’ll keep it in mind for future StudentLoanNetwork blog posts! For now, lenders often require cosigners for students who either don’t have a long credit history or have an adverse one. You can build credit by using a credit card to pay for purchases and making on-time monthly payments. Any car leasing or other type of loan where you make monthly payments can also help build your history. Good luck!

18. @mari says on June 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm:

As of right now i am homeless. i am temporally living with one of my friends, i want to go to nursing school so bad. but the school i am trying to attend refuse to let me receive my financial aid money. why? because i cant provide parental documents. i don’t have any parents my mom passed away about four months ago, my dad i don’t know where he is. what more do they want me to provide to them. they have teens out there who don’t even have the motivation the drive to go to school. someone else comes along that have the passion for school, they refuse to grant you that wish. what is wrong with the USA government. people preach everyday about how they want students in America to be educated but then you pass this irresolvable law stating that the school should decided whether or not you should go to school or not. i cant afford school, i cant get a private students loan being i don’t have no credit, scholarship are hard to received. i am out of ideas . i want to know why they pass such a law. it is destroying America education. i also want to know different ways to help students whom cant qualify for financial aid. thank you very much.

• Financial Aid Guru says on June 14, 2011 at 9:26 am:

@Mari- It sounds like you are currently considered dependent and therefore need to submit parent financials for the FAFSA. If you appeal your dependency status through the financial aid department, you would then be considered independent and likely be awarded more aid. You should read “Appealing your FAFSA dependency status” to find out the qualifications (you should qualify based on the info you provided here) and how to go about an appeal. Good luck!

19. Terrance Dunwoody says on June 16, 2011 at 9:58 am:

I would like to see how we are able to get financial aid money if our parents are not able to get a parent loan because they have file bankruptcy due to the economy. I really need scholarships and aid money to be able to attend school but i am young only 17 and unable to apply for anything in my name. I think due to a lot of students such as myself we need help.

• Financial Aid Guru says on June 20, 2011 at 10:28 am:

@Terrance- If your parents were denied a parent PLUS loan from the government, then you should be entitled to more federal loans. If this does not meet your need, you will most likely have to wait until you’re 18 to apply for a loan in your name.

20. Catherine says on July 10, 2011 at 12:59 pm:

I am just wondering why there are so many different sites to get student loan information? There is NSLD, my Campass conection, Fasfa, and a few others I have found in my public e-mail. This tends to be very confusing. Can you tell us which ones are more upto date?
    Catheirne Read
    IVY TECH
    FORT WAYNE
    INDIANA

• Financial Aid Guru says on July 13, 2011 at 11:38 am:

@Catherine – I cannot speak for other sites, but the StudentLoanNetwork keeps all of our loan information as up to date as possible, and you can catch some student loan news from our blog. Government sites, while technically the most up to date, can also be more difficult to navigate, which is where sites like ours come in.

21. Marybeth Jamieson says on July 11, 2011 at 7:42 am:

My son will be attending Kent State University in the fall. I am reserching any aid, due to the fact that my husband just recently retired at the age of 55 due to Alheizmers Disease. He was a school teacher for 30 years. Our income significantly changed due this. Origianlly his fafca oh approved him to the Stafford $5500.00, because of our income but now that has changed. We he be eligible for any other aid to help him before he borrows private loans? He really is looking forward to going to school but this has been an overwelmingly shock to our whole family. Thank you

• Financial Aid Guru says on July 13, 2011 at 11:33 am:

@Marybeth – WIth income changes like this it is hard to receive more federal aid. The next best option would be to look for scholarships, though this can be a time-consuming process. Many students are in the same situation, and the best way to fill the gap after federal aid, is through private loans.

22. joann agbanlog says on August 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm:

i am having problem getting a loan due to college state and name. i can’t seem to locate my state. i found guam and palau but i can’t find the northern mariana islands. can you please our territory so that way we can also apply for this loan.it

• Financial Aid Guru says on August 18, 2011 at 11:20 am:

@Joann- In the case where this list does not show your school, the best option is to contact your financial aid office to find out which lenders they work with. You can then apply directly through that lender.

23. hmrgrl1 says on August 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm:

I would like to see a STRONG EFFORT placed on providing scholarships to WHITE students, that had hard working parents, who are above the poverty level but on a $40,000 a year (gross) income CANNOT send their children to university. I didn’t return to get my degree until the children were older and I divorced. I HAVE MY OWN student loans that I am struggling with payment on, the economy is low and now I have a child with Honor grades, atheletics (but not “THE BEST”) who wishes to become a doctor. I got $4000 from FAFSA, she won an academic scholarship of #10,000 but I don’t qualify for loans, she doesn’t qualify for loans and the few scholarships are for hispanic or native american nurses! She intends to work in a rural, mostly Native and Hispanic area, but because she is white she doesn’t qualify. Her father has paid no child support for 10 of the 18 years! Hard work, good grades and desire don’t seem to be the focus but ethnicity is????

• Chris Miller says on November 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm:

I hear you, but I am African-American, 53 years old, now raising two grandchildren and trying to go back to school. On a single salary of $42,000, both of my boys had to go straight to work out of high school because we could not afford college. Now single, with half the salary since I lost my job in January, AND with two little ones, my FAFSA still isn’t enough. Financial restrictions on grants have nothing to do with race.

24. Deborah Tanski says on August 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm:

I just finished all courses for my online degree. I have outstanding student loans to pay off. I am currenty on a fix income All the scholarships I have applyed for are for any future courses how do I find help to pay for the courses I have already completed?

• Financial Aid Guru says on August 18, 2011 at 11:06 am:

Depending on your job, some graduates are eligible for repayment or forgiveness programs for federal loans. There are also various websites where you can set up accounts to receive donations towards your student loans.

25. Judy says on August 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm:

Hi,
    I’ve been out of school for a couple of years now and due to the economy have had to place my student loans in forbearance status. Are there any resources for trying to reduce the monthly amount due on my student loans?

26. alonzo snipes says on October 20, 2011 at 11:51 am:

Why do our government allow many colleges to rip off the students as much as they do, and when you try to report it then they try and make things harder for the student to finish their education?

27. Jesse Vasquez says on December 9, 2011 at 11:13 pm:

Hello, I have qualified for financial aid, student loan, as well as a Pell Grant. Why isn’t the pell grant used first ? And if I have qualified for the grant, why dose it go directly to the school, I need money for my copy machine which needs ink! as well as paper? How do we know who to trust.

• Financial Aid Guru says on December 14, 2011 at 3:48 pm:

The Pell Grant is usually used first. The money is sent directly to the school to ensure that it is used on qualified school expenses. If you need money for other school supplies, talk to your school’s financial aid office, as they usually refund any excess funds to the student.

28. Rachelle Moore says on January 21, 2012 at 5:06 pm:

The online courses need to be more set up for disabled students and far as the school loans goes what about us students who are disable and really can not understand whats whats , but trying to attend college ? It seems like we will never finish a degree but our credit and name will be ruin . Its so sad how I feel , but its sadder when we do not get enough time to do our work and loses our financial assisstance because our g.p.a is low um….. were disable and trying okay keep that in mind while your sitting back looking at us like we to stupid to be in college . Its our freaking rights to educated our selves rather you all care about us or not

29. Kaylee says on February 28, 2012 at 11:57 am:

My parents are both teachers. The government says they make too much money to qualify for any grants. The sad thing is they make too much for help paying for my college, but they barely make enough to get by. My Mom even started working a second job to help with expenses to get me to college. I would like to see topics on helping the middle class.

30. Kaye Stone says on April 28, 2012 at 8:53 am:

WHen I was approached by financial aid web site it said all ages. I know there are students out there who are adults that need financial assistance. I am not asking for anything free. I know I have to pay money back. I know I am Not OWED a thing. I do need a little help to complete my degree. Not one time have I seen anyone over the age of 25 receive any grants, scholarships, or win any amount. This is a little sad. I don’t have time to piddle on the computer forever and win points even though I have had quite a few. I work full time as well as attend class. I worked my way through college and have a son in college. It would be nice to see adults recognised for their hard work.

31. bethel ndala says on August 1, 2012 at 10:16 am:

Winning a scholarship would be a dream come true!!

32. Mary Gustafson says on August 31, 2012 at 9:17 am:

I am an older person coming to a college for the first time in my life. Everything is so new in this world. I need help guiding me through the process of registering and applying for scholarships. I only need to take 2 Early Childhood Classes for my new job in Preschool and would like to take one of them in the Winter/Spring semester, and the seond one in the next semester.
    Money is tight for everyone and I would appreciate any help on filling out and applying for a scholarship.
    It would be nice to see a place at the college just reserved to help us oldies returning to school.
    Thanks,
    Mary

33. Grace says on February 14, 2013 at 11:15 am:

I have had an elderly mother sick many times and I am the only child. I handle everything for my mother and go to school sometimes full time and part time. I have had to drop some courses in my semesters due to my mothers illness or mine. My question is when I repeated the class financial aide has no clue that its because of illness that I had to repeat the class and therefore that class that I repeated is not approved for financial aide. Will there be a time that we can inform financial aide with proof of documentation regarding the circumstances. Can the financial aide credit those funds or partial towards the repeated class at least one time credit towards the class? There has been times that I had to borrow the balance charged to me, money that I do not have and on top also get money for the books.

Sincerely,

Grace Reynoso

34. Steven Harshfield says on April 22, 2013 at 8:33 pm:

Where are scholarships and grants for working adults that are returning to college to get an advanced degree? I need a grant or scholarship but do not want to take out a loan to pay for my master’s degree in the field of education.

35. Trish says on April 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm:

My daughter is persuing a career in the medical profession.She is not african american, asin, immigrant or disabled. Oh, I forgot to mention…she actually finished high school and did not get pregnant or married. We are an average middle income family that lives paycheck to paycheck, therefore we get no financial aid by completing the FAFSA. We can’t afford college but will go in debt like most middle income famalies in order to give my daughter a chance to do what she loves and what America needs. We are members of all the scholarship websites and I complete surveys for a chance to win. She is so busy with being a full-time student that she rarely has time to write essay’s but on occassion is able to do so. I hear this complaint a lot! What is a person to do to get help?

36. Topaz says on June 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm:

Running/ran out of options for covering school expenses. What to do when there are no other options left for covering school. This includes: not being able to win scholarships of any kind, not qualifying for private loans, can’t find work anywhere along with maxed out federal funding (both loans and pell).