Home » Podcast

An Open Letter to Apple: Podcasts in the iTunes Wi-Fi Store, Please!

2 November 2007 1 views 242 Comments

This story now available on Digg. Please Digg after signing! Thanks!

Dear Apple, Inc.:

Slackershot: No podcasts in the iTunes Wi-Fi StoreI love my new iPod Touch. I love that it has Wi-Fi and can do all sorts of neat things, and I even appreciate the ability to impulse buy music from the iTunes Wi-Fi Store. I have one request: please add podcasting support to the iTunes Wi-Fi Store, as you’ve done in the main iTunes Store. As you know, podcasts are a great way to extend the power and usefulness of an iPod, and a great way to upsell buyers to larger hard drives, particularly video podcasts.

I’d love to go into the iTunes Wi-Fi Store, use the same natural interface to search for podcasts on the topics I like, play them wirelessly right then and there like a radio, and subscribe to them with one touch, then sync back to my iTunes on my MacBook Pro when I get home.

Below you’ll find fellow podcasters and listeners in support of this petition. Please add robust podcast support to the iTunes Wi-Fi Store!

Best regards,

Christopher Penn
Producer, the Financial Aid Podcast
Co-Founder, PodCamp

Financial Aid News is sponsored in part by:

242 Responses to “An Open Letter to Apple: Podcasts in the iTunes Wi-Fi Store, Please!”

1. financialaidpodcast says on November 2, 2007 at 4:29 pm:

To sign this petition, just leave a comment, ideally with either the podcast you produce or the podcasts you listen to! At the end of this I’ll be printing out the comments and Fedexing them to Cupertino.

2. Edgar Barrera says on November 2, 2007 at 4:33 pm:

Yes, we want wifi podcasts support.

3. Ed Roberts says on November 2, 2007 at 4:33 pm:

Yes please.

financialaidpodcast.com
    highorbit.com
    accidenthash.com
    chillcast.com
    anjibee.com
    plus twenty or so others that I listen to on a rotating basis.

6. Jeffrey T. Meyer says on November 2, 2007 at 4:40 pm:

Jeffrey T. Meyer

“The Good Beer Show”
    Winner of the 2005 and 2006 People’s Choice Podcast Award in “Food and Drink” category

7. Les Zaldor says on November 2, 2007 at 4:40 pm:

- The Bear’s Grove
    - Fledgling
    - Dragonkin
    - The Bearcast
    - The Bear’s Grove Bardic Circle
    - Heart of the Hunter

(Those are the family’s casts – the listening list would be very long!)

9. Peter A. Mello says on November 2, 2007 at 4:42 pm:

FIR, Six Pixels of Separation, M Show, Daily Source Code, HBR Ideacast, Knowledge@Wharton, 501c3Cast, Just One More Book, Managing the Gray, Accident Hash, Marketing Over Coffee, Marketing Voices, The Engaging Brand, TWIT, Maritime Accident Casebook, Furled Sails

Currently collaborating on the development of a maritime podcast.

Great job with PodCamp Boston 2. Thanks.

10. whitney says on November 2, 2007 at 4:43 pm:

Please, please Apple!

Whitney Hoffman the LD Podcast
    Part of the Mommycast & Friends Podcast Channel

11. financialaidpodcast says on November 2, 2007 at 4:44 pm:

Given how many people are chiming it, it might be fun to print all this out and Fedex it to Cupertino!

12. Chris Johnston says on November 2, 2007 at 4:45 pm:

This week in Tech, This week in law, Windows Weekly, Alternageek, Marketing over coffee, and Get your geek on,

13. Norman Huelsman says on November 2, 2007 at 4:46 pm:

Please add podcast support in in wifi store.

Alive in Baghdad, Alive in Mexico, Ask a Ninja, Brave New Films, Croncast, The First Live Webisode, Glacticast, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, PRI: Selected Shorts, Should I Drink That?, Snowmen Hunters, Something To Be Desireed, Tiki Bar TV

14. Mike Wills says on November 2, 2007 at 4:52 pm:

This would push me over the edge to buy an iPod Touch. Being able to subscribe AND download new podcasts on the fly.

15. Norman Huelsman » Blog Archive » Podcast Support says on November 2, 2007 at 4:52 pm:

[...] sign Christopher Penn’s petition for podcast support on iTunes wifi [...]

16. scott mcdougall says on November 2, 2007 at 4:54 pm:

Please add podcasting support in the WiFi music store as in the regular version.

17. Jeff O'Hara says on November 2, 2007 at 4:56 pm:

Signing my support for wifi in the iPod Touch & iPhone.

18. Jeff O'Hara says on November 2, 2007 at 4:57 pm:

Signing my support for podcasts over wifi on the iPod Touch & iPhone.

19. Sonya Buyting says on November 2, 2007 at 4:58 pm:

Sassy Science podcast

20. Charles Stepczyk says on November 2, 2007 at 4:59 pm:

Insomnia Radio: Southern California

21. Rich South says on November 2, 2007 at 5:01 pm:

This Week In Tech, This Week in Media, DL.TV, Diggnation, Totally Rad Show, Accident Hash, Mac Break Tech, Mac Break Weekly, The News Quiz / The Now Show, Cranky Geeks, Ask A Ninja.

Being able to get Podcasts this way will go one step further to getting me to buy one of these fantastic devices.

22. Kevin Kennedy-Spaien says on November 2, 2007 at 5:01 pm:

Please, Apple. It’s no coincidence that the first syllable of Podcast is… well, you know.

Managing the Gray
    Something to Be Desired
    The Myth Show
    and more…

23. David Jacobs says on November 2, 2007 at 5:04 pm:

Yes! Podcast support please. I am an avid podcast listener an producer. This will do nothing but help your business anyway.

David Jacobs

The Connected World
    Rock and Roll Jew Show
    Some Dude From California

24. Eric Skiff says on November 2, 2007 at 5:05 pm:

Podcast support would be huge. Why in the world do I have to sync my iphone to get my podcasts?

Eric Skiff – http://alternativemusicshow.com, http://clipiversity.com, http://feltup.tv

I listen to or watch: Accident Hash, Ask A Ninja, Boing Boing TV, Clipiversity, Ctrl+alt+chicken, Diggnation, Digital Flotsam, Epic-Fu, Synchronis.tv, Flight of the Conchords, Geekbrief.tv, iCali, Josh Leo’s Video Blog, MacBreak Weekly, Mahalo Daily, Managing the Gray, On the luck of seven, The Radioactive Music Show, Real World Green, Something to be Desired, Start Cooking Videoblog, SXSW Podcasts, This week in Tech, Tiki Bar TV, Totally Rad Show, U-Turn Cafe

25. Karen J Cardoza says on November 2, 2007 at 5:06 pm:

Producer
    Mrs. B’s Patriot World Podcast
    Muse With Me Podcast

Subscriber and consumer of more than 75 podcasts

26. drew domkus says on November 2, 2007 at 5:23 pm:

yes, please add podcasting support to WiFiTunes!!

The Dawn and Drew Show!
    Dawn and Drew TV

27. David Tames says on November 2, 2007 at 5:28 pm:

Yes, I really want Podcast support, since that’s 90% of what’s on my Video iPod now, and when the time comes to get the iPod Touch… I hope the store has Podcasts for me!

28. Jason Van Orden says on November 2, 2007 at 6:16 pm:

I produce two podcasts and listen to dozens. A lot of my listeners use iTunes to subscribe. Adding podcast support to iTunes WiFi is a must. I wholeheartedly add my voice to ask Apple to do so.

Jason Van Orden

29. Chris Thomson says on November 2, 2007 at 6:22 pm:

Please Apple!!!

iMacTips
    WP Huddle
    The Intrwb 2.0 Show

30. chris pinchen says on November 2, 2007 at 6:49 pm:

Yes please…
    Practice Spanish with slow Spain podcast

31. Tim Poggioli says on November 2, 2007 at 6:49 pm:

Insomnia Radio Baltimore

32. Rob Blatt says on November 2, 2007 at 7:32 pm:

The New York Sun media network.

Clever way to get comments…

33. Bob Goyetche says on November 2, 2007 at 7:36 pm:

Canadian Podcast Buffet
    CatFish Show
    MostlyTunes
    The Bob and AJ Show
    Founder of the ROGIC Podcast Conglomerate
    Editor of CanadaPodcasts.ca – Canada’s podcasting directory
    Co-founder Podcasters Across Borders – Canada’s First Podcasting conference & Meetup

34. Warren Sukernek says on November 3, 2007 at 12:06 am:

Please, please Mr. AAPL, I’ll be your best friend!

35. Len Edgerly says on November 3, 2007 at 12:13 am:

I am totally supportive of this idea!

On my iTunes Directory under podcasts, I have more than 50 podcasts that I subscribe to and listen to regularly. It would be great to be able to get them directly on my iPhone.

36. Israel Hyman says on November 3, 2007 at 12:21 am:

I completely agree. What a great idea!

37. Hieronymus Murphy says on November 3, 2007 at 1:33 am:

A fantastic idea!

38. John R. Carman says on November 3, 2007 at 3:10 am:

The G Spod, New Podsafe Music

39. Derek Jay Steen says on November 3, 2007 at 3:26 am:

I didn’t even realise that podcasts aren’t available in the iTunes WIFI Store — I haven’t got an iPod Touch; hanging out for the 2nd generation iPhone when it comes to Australia.

Podcast support on the iTunes WIFI Store would definitely make the iPod Touch more appetising!

I host/produce The Podshow About Nothing (http://teepan.com).
    I listen to/watch over 60 different podcasts.

40. marc says on November 3, 2007 at 6:30 am:

Definitely!
    Hey Israel ! Big fan of yours, you have a great podcast!